Not less than 70 soldiers have been reported dead after a military convoy was ambushed by Boko Haram terrorist in Borno state.
The Punch reported that “Insurgents fired rocket-propelled grenades at a lorry carrying troops as it travelled near Gorgi village in Borno state on Monday, two military officers told AFP without giving their names.”
Speaking about the incident, one of the officers said, “It was a huge loss, at least 70 soldiers have perished in the ambush.”
Again, another officer while speaking about the incident said, “The terrorists specifically targeted a truck loaded with soldiers with RPGs and incinerated the vehicle, killing all on board.”
“So far 70 bodies have been recovered but the toll is certainly more than that as (the) rescue operation is still underway.”
Several soldiers were injured and some others (were) taken captive by the jihadists, the two officers stated.
A spokesman for the Nigerian army told AFP that he was unable to comment on the reported attack.
The report has it that the convoy left the regional capital, Maiduguri and was on its way to launch an attack on a jihadist’s camp.
According to a member of a government-supported militia group, the jihadist’s camp that was to be attacked is affiliated to the Islamic State group in the area.
This Jihadist has been accused of the rising attacks on civilians and taking hostages at checkpoints on main roads in the region.
Nigeria has been battling with insurgency for over ten years. The insurgency has over time led to 1.8 million people being displaced and approximately 36,000 people dead.
Of recent, the army general, Yusuf Buratai was addressing the Nigerian military men, telling them that the insurgency will soon come to an end.