We have also included answers to some of the frequently asked questions regarding CRK/CRS.
There are several Nigerian Universities offering the course in various variations. Popular variations include Christian Religious Studies, Christian Religious Knowledge, and Christian Studies.
Basically, the requirement for gaining admission to study any course is that you have at least 5 credit passes in O’level, to include English Language and 4 other relevant subjects.
The four other subjects vary with universities, so it is important that you keep reading to know the specific requirements for the school you wish to apply to before completing your JAMB registration.
Requirements for Christian Religious Studies/Knowledge in Nigerian Universities
‘O’ level subject combination (WAEC, NECO, etc.)
To be eligible for admission to study Christian Religious Studies/Knowledge at any Nigerian university, you must score at least 5 SSCE credit passes, which must include English Language, CRK, plus 3 other relevant subjects.
To put it differently, the NABTEB, NECO or WAEC subject combination for Christian Religious Studies is English Language, CRK, plus 3 other social science or art subjects.
As we mentioned earlier, the 3 other subjects vary with universities. See the special consideration for O’level below to know the specific requirements for other schools.
Special considerations for the O’level requirements
- Lagos State University requires Five ‘O’ Level credit passes including English Language.
- UNIBADAN requires 5 or 6 ‘O’ level credit passes at one/two sittings to include English Language, CRK and any other subject in Arts or Social Science.
- Kaduna State University accepts only subjects from Arts or Social Science.
- Ekiti State University requires only Arts subjects.
- Taraba State University, Jalingo, accepts a pass in Mathematics.
JAMB UTME subject combination
In addition to the compulsory Use Of English, candidates who wish to study Christian Studies at any Nigerian University must register for CRK and Two subjects which must include at least another Art subject.
Special consideration for JAMB UTME subject combination
- KWASU accepts any three Arts or Social Science subjects.
- CALABAR accepts CRS/IRS and any two other subjects.
Direct Entry Requirement (A’Level)
To gain admission for Christian Religious Studies through Direct Entry, you need to score at least two ‘A’ level passes, which must include Christian Religious Studies or Christian Studies.
Special considerations and waivers for Direct Entry Students
- AJAYI Crowder University and UNIBADAN accept NCE (merit) in Religious Studies
- LASU and OOU also require fulfillment of UTME requirements.
- LASU accepts:
- two Advanced Level Passes, including Bible/Christian Religious Knowledge or Religious Studies at not more than two sittings, plus five ‘O’ Level credit passes at GCE Ordinary Level or its equivalent, which must include English Language at not more than two sittings.
- NCE with at least Merit Passes in CRS and five (5) credit passes in other relevant subjects including the English Language.
- NASARAWA accepts NCE CRS, not below Merit.
- KWASU accepts IJMB, Cambridge, and NCE.
- UNIABUJA accepts a minimum of 10 points in NCE or Upper credit in the National Diploma in addition to ‘O’ Level requirements.
- UNILORIN accepts Diploma in Religious Studies or Theology of London or an accredited Nigerian University or Affiliated institutions.
Christian Religious Studies JAMB cut off mark
In general, Nigerian Universities allow students to partake in their Post UTME for Christian Religious Studies/Knowledge if they score at least 180 in the JAMB UTME.
Universities where you can study CRS/CRK
The following Nigerian universities offer Christian Religious Studies, Christian Religious Knowledge or Christian Studies, as listed on the JAMB brochure:
- Ajayi Crowder University, Oyo State
- Anchor University, Lagos
- Alex Ekwueme Federal Univesity, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University
- Benson Idahosa University
- Bowen University Osun state
- Bingham University
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos State
- Clifford University, Abia State
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University, Ibadan, Oyo State
- Edo State University
- Federal University of Kashere
- Gombe State University
- Hezekiah University, UNIHEZ
- The University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- Kaduna State University
- Kogi State University
- Kwara State University
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Life Theological Seminary (LTS)
- Ekiti State University
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Nasarawa State University
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- University of Ilorin
What is Christian Religious Studies?
It is an academic discipline that involves the study of Christianity and Christian practices.
Frequently asked questions
It is an Art course and as such most universities in Nigeria place it under the faculty of Arts or Humanities.
Gaining admission to study the course is not competitive at most Nigerian universities.
The course isn’t a science course and, unfortunately, for most universities, the requirements do not accommodate science students.
After obtaining a degree in Christian Religious Studies you have the option to become a Chaplain, Religious Counselor/advisor, Lecturer/teacher, etc.
Generally, you have to spend at least 4 years to obtain a degree in Christian Religious Studies at most Nigerian Universities.
We advise you to check the latest JAMB brochure for more information, as the Universities reserve the right to alter their requirements for studying Christian Religious Studies.