A lot of freelancers are making so much sales online, while some are finding it difficult to place a foothold in the industry. There are some basic qualities you must possess as a freelancer so you can improve your productivity and ultimately improve your sales. If you are found wanting in any of those qualities, you may find it very difficult to cope with the marketplace.
As a freelancer with a lot of experience in the marketplace, I made so many trials and errors before I was able to come up with a formula that works. It’ll work for everyone with no exception.
6 Qualities every freelancer must possess
1. Good Communication
relationships you have with buyers of your services.
Here are some steps you can follow to improve your communication ability.
- Be a good Listener: The first step to having a good communication ability is becoming a good listener. If you are not able to listen carefully, how will you be able to decode an information, how do you process a response then?
- Only give premeditated responses: Another step to becoming a good communicator is your ability to give premeditated response. You shouldn’t give response with just your lips. While communicating with clients, you must think through what to say.
- Go easy on buyers There’s no point trying to complicate a discussion or use unfamiliar vocabularies while discussing with buyers or bidding for jobs on freelance sites. Though there is a need for formality sometimes, but the sole aim of communication is to be able to pass a message across to your buyer.
2. Be Confident
There’s a huge need for confidence as a freelancer. You must always show confidence whenever you approach buyers or have a discussion with them. Buyers are able to spot lack of confidence even in your write-ups.
3. Never devaluate your services
We have seen a huge growth in the number of freelance companies, majorly because very cheap services are rendered there, so buyers now prefer patronizing them instead of buying offline where the prize will be more than double the offers on freelance companies.
Trust me, once you are able to break through that barrier, it only gets better.
4. Develop your customer service ability
Developing your customer service quality is very important. Every freelancer must possess this quality. At some point, you will encounter challenges that may threaten to ruin your good standing and earn you a few bad ratings from buyers. If you are able to handle such situations wisely, then nothing is ever going to spoil your vibe.
You may be faced with a situation like getting a job done wrongly, maybe as a result of personal issues or poor communication between you and the buyer. You must handle such situations with care. If the fault is yours, offer your apologies to the client and offer to redo the job correctly. If the fault is not yours, then you must find a way to relate it with the client without causing a bad blood between you both.
5. Behave like a professional
For you to succeed as a freelancer, then you need to handle the jobs you get like a professional. Even if you are working from the comfort of your home, probably with your pajamas on, the quality of your deliveries should be nothing less than what you would deliver to your offline clients. That is what earns you
respect from your clients.
6. Have a desire to learn and improve
As a freelancer, you must always have a desire to learn, a desire to keep yourself up to date with the latest tools that will help in improving your overall
productivity. Every day, new discoveries are made. Technology gets better and
better by the day, you must keep yourself informed.
How do you show you have a desire to learn?
- Constantly making researches.
- Making friends with other freelancers that offer the same services as you.