American actor, Jussie Smollett, popular for featuring on American TV series, Empire, has been indicted again. The fresh charges are all related to the hate-crime he allegedly staged.
Authorities accuse him of staging his Kidnap in order to become more popular and in return get a pay rise for the role he played in the TV series.
According to reports, the popular TV star now faces six counts of disorderly conduct. Special prosecutor Dan Webb said this in a statement.
How it all started
Last year news reports emerged that the popular TV star suffered a heinous and distasteful hate crime.
According to him, he was harassed on the streets of Chicago by two unknown white men whom he said wrapped a rope around his neck and abducted him. He went on to state that they did all of that to him because he’s gay.
However, upon investigations by Chicago Police, it was alleged that Jussie staged the Kidnap and that the people who abducted him were two black men whom he knew.
The police then retrieved CCTV footage from the supermarket that showed the two brothers purchase ropes and masks.
Ultimately, those two brothers were arrested and reportedly implicated the movie star.
Mysteriously, the case was dropped by the Chicago court. This resulted in an outpour of outrage by several high profile people including the President of the United States Donald Trump.
What charges is he facing?
The singer cum actor faces a six-count charge of disorderly conduct, all revolving around the alleged staging of his own abuse.
The concluding part of Danny Webb’s statement made available via NBCChicago reads:
“Mr. Webb has arranged with counsel for Mr. Smollett, for Mr. Smollett to voluntarily appear for his arraignment, scheduled for February 24, 2020, at 9:30 a.m., Central Time, before the Honorable LeRoy K. Martin Jr., Presiding Judge Criminal Division, of the Circuit Court of Cook County, at which time a trial judge will be assigned to the case.
“The public is reminded that an indictment is only a charge and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until he is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
“In consideration of Mr. Smollett’s right to a fair trial, the OSP will not comment further about the indictment or the OSP’s continuing investigation,” the statement concluded.