If you’re interested in knowing the oldest universities in Nigeria, we have compiled a list of the 20 oldest and the years they were established.
Nigeria currently has over 170 NUC accredited universities. But it wasn’t always that way. Before independence in 1960, the nation had just one university, which was its first and therefore the oldest.
After the independence, other institutions of higher learning came into being. And the Nigerian constitutional reform which now allows capable private investors to set up institutions has contributed greatly to the growth of institutions of higher learnings in Nigeria.
But mind you, no private institution makes our list, since none of them are old enough to do so.
The 20 oldest universities in Nigeria are as a matter of fact all owned by the federal Government of Nigeria.
Here are the top 20 oldest universities in Nigeria:
- University of Ibadan (UI): Established in 1948, University of Ibadan, popularly known as UI, is the oldest university in Nigeria.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN): It was established in 1960, making it the second oldest university in Nigeria.
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU): It was established in 1962, earning it 3rd place in our list.
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU): ABU Zaria was established in 1962, the same year OAU was established.
- University of Lagos (UNILAG): UNILAG was also established in 1962, earning it a place among the oldest universities in Nigeria.
- University of Benin (UNIBEN): UNIBEN was created in 1970, earning it 6th place in our list.
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID): Created in 1975, UNIMAID is also one of the oldest universities in Nigeria.
- University of Calabar (UNICAL): UNICAL was created in 1975 and is therefore 8th in our list.
- University of Jos (UNIJOS): founded in 1975, UNIJOS takes 9th place in this list.
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN): UNILORIN was also created in 1975, just 16 years after Nigeria’s independence; this makes it one of the oldests universities in Nigeria.
- University of Port Harcourt: University of Port Harcourt was established in 1975, earning it 11th place.
- Usman Danfodio University: It was created in 1975, earning it a 12th place. It is technically joint 7th with UNIMAID, if we are to consider the year of establishment.
- Bayero University Kano (BUK): This is also one of the 7 institutions of higher learning created in 1975; earning it 13th place among Nigeria’s oldest universities.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri: FUT Owerri was established in 1980, which makes it the first university of Technology in Nigeria; however, it takes 14th place when compared to other Nigerian institutions of higher learning.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA): Established in 1981, FUTA takes 15th place in our list.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola: 1981
- Federal University of Technology, Minna: 1982
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU), Bauchi: 1988
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada: 1988
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta: 1988