This article talks about the departments/courses offered at the University of Lagos, popularly known as Unilag.
The University of Lagos is located in the southwestern geopolitical zone of Nigeria. As the name indicates, it is situated in Nigeria’s most populous city, Lagos.
The institution was founded in 1962 — just 2 years after Nigeria’s independence — making it one of the oldest universities in Nigeria.
According to authoritative statistics, Unilag boasts a student capacity of nearly 60,000, making it one of the largest universities in Nigeria.
A key reason behind the large students’ capacity is the availability of a wide range of courses/fields of study that students can apply for.
If you are interested in applying to study at Unilag, or you are here for the sake of someone else, then it is imperative to know the courses you can apply for.
For the sake of easy digestion, we have grouped the various Unilag courses under their respective faculties, colleges and institutes.
List of Unilag courses based on their respective faculties
The University of Lagos has a total of 12 faculties, 1 college of Medicine and a host of institutes that run diploma, undergraduate & Postgraduate programmes. In this article, we’ll only talk about undergraduate courses.
1. Faculty of Arts
Unilag has the following Art courses:
- Creative Arts:
- Theatre Arts
- Visual Arts
- European Languages:
- History And Strategic Studies
- Linguistics, African & Asian Studies:
2. College of Medicine
The College of Medicine in Unilgag provides the following options for prospective students:
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
3. Faculty of Business Administration
- Actuarial Science
- Business Administration
- Industrial Relation & Personnel Management
4. Faculty of Education (Science-Based Courses)
The faculty of Education in the institution provides the following science courses:
- Human Kinetics And Health Education
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- Mathematics Education
- Physics Education
- Home Economics
- Technology Education
- Integrated Science
5. Faculty of Education (Art-Based Courses)
The faculty of Education in Unilag provides the following Art-based courses:
- Adult Education
- C.R.S. Education
- English Education
- French Education
- Economics Education
- Business Education
- Geography Education
- History Education
- Igbo Education
- Islamic Religious Study
- Yoruba Education
- Educational Administration
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Foundations (Guidance And Counselling)
6. Faculty of Engineering
The engineering courses offered in Unilag are:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil And Environmental Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Surveying And Geoinformatics
- Metallurgical And Materials Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Petroleum And Gas Engineering
7. Faculty of Environmental Sciences
Under Environmental Sciences Faculty of Unilag, you’ll find the following courses:
- Estate Management
- Quantity Surveying
- Urban And Regional Planning
8. Faculty of Law
9. Faculty of Management Sciences
This faculty of Management Sciences offers the following courses:
- Actuarial Science
- Business Administration
- Industrial Relations And Personnel Management
10. Faculty of Sciences
Here are the Science courses offered at Unilag
- Cell Biology And Genetics
- Computer Science
- Marine Biology
11. Faculty of Pharmarcy
12. Faculty of Social Sciences
The Social Science departments in the University of Lagos include the following:
- Mass Communication
- Political Science
Requirements for Unilag Admission
For you to be considered for admission to study at the University of Lagos (Unilag), you must meet up with some general requirements along with several departmental requirements.
For example, a person who wants to study Medicine will not have the same requirements as a person who wishes to study Creative Arts.
So, even if the general requirement is a 5 credit pass in SSCE including Maths and English, subject combinations vary from course to course.
Admission requirements for the various courses in Unilag can be found on the official website of the institution.
UTME cutoff marks & general requirements
Students who wish to gain admission through UTME to study in Unilag must have scored at least five (5) credit passes in Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) in not more than two sittings.
Additionally, their JAMB UTME aggregate score must not be less than 200; however, some departments — like Medicine and Surgery — require much higher.
- The 5 credit passes in SSCE must include Mathematics and English Language.
- Your SSCE subject combination and UTME aggregate score must conform to at least the minimum standard set by your department of interest. You can find information regarding that on your JAMB brochure.
- Finally, it is compulsory to register and take part in the annual Unilag Post UTME screening exercise.
Direct Entry (DE) requirements
- To gain admission into the University of Lagos through Direct Entry, you must score at least five (5) credit passes in SSCE in not more than two sittings.
- Furthermore, you need to possess a minimum of two advanced level passes in OND with a credit level or NCE with credit level.
Have any contributions to this article? Please reach us using our contact form.