We’ve compiled a list containing over 40 commercial courses you can study in Nigerian universities; keep reading to discover what they are.
There are over 170 universities in Nigeria, as approved by the NUC. In many of those universities, you can study fields related to commerce.
Generally, students who have graduated from commercial class in Nigerian secondary schools can apply for those courses, provided you meet certain requirements.
According to Investopedia: “commerce refers to the exchange of goods, services or something of value, between businesses or entities.”
Needless to say, those activities play important roles in the development of a nation.
Bearing in mind that fact, Nigerian institutions created several courses (departments) that can equip prospective candidates with all the knowledge needed to excel in their fields of interests.
As we all know, Nigerian institutions are still growing, evolving, and trying to keep pace with foreign authorities. As a result, you may not find commercial courses you can study in American or European universities in Nigeria.
After checking on school websites and JAMB brochure, we were able to gather all the courses you can study in Nigerian universities.
Here are the commercial courses offered in Nigerian universities:
- Accountancy / Financial Accounting
- Actuarial Science
- Actuarial Science and Insurance
- Banking and Finance
- Business Administration
- Business and Entrepreneurship Studies
- Business Management
- Conflict and Peace Resolution
- Cooperative and Rural Development
- Cooperative Economics and Management
- Demography and Social Statistics
- Economics and Development Studies
- Economics and Statistics
- Economics with Operation Research
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Environmental Protection Resources Management
- Film and Video Studies
- Government and Public Administration
- History and International Relations
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Hotel and Tourism Management
- Human Resources Management
- Industrial and Labour Relations
- Industrial Relations
- Industrial Relations and Human Resources Management
- Industrial Relations and Personnel Management
- Insurance and Actuarial Science
- Insurance and Risk Management
- Management and Entrepreneurship
- Management Studies
- Marketing and Advertising
- Office and Information Management
- Office Management and Information
- Population Studies
- Public Relations and Advertising
- Secretarial Administration
Requirements & Subject combination for the commercial courses:
There’s no generally applicable subject combination for the courses listed above. In other words, requirements vary from school to school.
Therefore, we recommend that you refer to your JAMB brochure or official website of your desired university.
Best commercial course to choose
The whole idea of which course is in most cases subjective. In other words, opinion may vary from person to person, depending on individual differences and preference.
However, we can say that the most studied commercial courses include: Financial Account, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, etc.