This article talks about the departments/courses offered at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, popularly known as UNN.
Established in 1955, the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, is one of the oldest universities in Nigeria. The institution boasts a student capacity of nearly 40,000, making it one of the largest in our nation.
A key reason behind the large students’ capacity is the availability of a wide range of courses/fields of study that students can apply for.
If you are interested in studying at UNN, then it is imperative to know the courses you can apply for.
For the sake of easy understanding, we have grouped the various courses under their respective faculties, colleges and institutes.
List of UNN courses based on their respective faculties
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka has a total of 16 faculties that run diploma, undergraduate & Postgraduate programmes. However, this article focusses only on undergraduate courses.
1. Faculty of Agriculture
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Extension
- Soil Science
- Animal Science
- Nutrition & Diabetics
- Home Science & Management
- Food Science & Technology
- Crop Science
2. Faculty of Arts
Here are the Art courses in UNN:
- History and International Studies
- Mass Communication
- Archaeology & Tourism
- English & Literary Studies
- Fine & Applied Art
- Linguistics, Igbo & Other Nigerian Languages
- Theatre & Film Study
- Foreign Language & Literature
3. Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
The College of Medicine in UNN provides the following options:
- Medical Biochemistry
4. Faculty of Biological Sciences
The Biological Sciences Courses in UNN are:
- Molecular Biology
- Plant Science & Biotechnology
- Zoology & Environmental Biology
5. Faculty of Business Administration
The faculty of Education in the institution provides the following science courses:
- Banking & Finance
6. Faculty of Dentistry
- Child Dental Health
- Oral Maxillofacial Surgery
- Preventive Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
- Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine
7. Faculty of Education
The faculty of Education in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka provides the following Art-based courses:
- Adult Education
- Arts Education
- Computer Education
- Education Foundation
- Library Science
- Human Kinetics & Health Education
- Science Education
- Social Science
8. Faculty of Engineering
The engineering courses offered in UNN are:
- Agric & Bioresources Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Material Engineering
9. Faculty of Environmental Studies
Under Environmental Sciences Faculty of UNN, you’ll find the following courses:
- Estate Management
- Urban & Regional Planning
- Geoinformatics & Surveying
10. Faculty of Law
- International & Comparative Law
- Commercial & Corporate Law
- Customary & Indigenous law
- Jurisprudence & Legal Theory
- Property Law
- Public Law
- Private Law
11. Faculty of Medical Sciences
UNN offers the following medical Sciences courses:
- Chemical Pathology
- Community Medicine
- Haematology and Immunology
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Microbiology
- Morbid Anatomy
- Obstetrics And Gynaecology
- Paediatric Surgery
- Psychological Medicine
- Radiation Medicine
12. Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
This faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences offers the following courses:
- Pharmaceutical & Medicinal Sciences
- Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Pharmaceutical Technology & Industrial Pharmacy
- Pharmacognosy & Environment Medicines
- Clinical Pharmacy & Pharmacy Management
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Biotechnology
13. Faculty of Social Sciences
- Public Administration & Local Government
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Religion & Cultural Study
- Sociology & Anthropology
14. Faculty of Physical Sciences
Here are the Physical Sciences courses offered at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka:
- Pure & Industrial Chemistry
- Computer Science
- Physics & Astronomy
- Science Laboratory Technology
15. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Pathology & Microbiology
- Veterinary Obstetrics & Reproductive Disease
- Veterinary Physiology & Pharmacology
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Animal Health & Production
- Veterinary Parasitology & Entomology
- Veterinary Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- Veterinary Surgery
- Veterinary Teaching Hospital
16. Faculty of Vocational-Technical Education
- Agriculture Education
- Business Education
- Computer Education
- Industrial Technical Education
- Home Economics & Hospitality Management Education
Requirements for UNN Admission
For you to be considered for admission to study at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, you must meet up requirements, depending on the course you applied for.
For example, a person who wants to study Medicine will not have the same requirements as a person who wishes to Architecture. Similarly, a person who wants to study Mechanical Engineering will not have exactly the requirements for studying Fine & Applied Arts.
In other words, even if the general requirement is a 5 credit pass in SSCE, subject combinations vary from course to course.
Admission requirements for the various courses in Unilag can be found on the official website of the institution. Alternatively, you can look into your JAMB brochure to discover all the specific requirements for UTME and Direct Entry.
UTME cutoff marks & general requirements
Students who wish to gain admission through UTME to study in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka must have scored at least five (5) credit passes in Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) in not more than two sittings. A credit pass in English language is compulsory irrespective of the course applied for.
Additionally, your JAMB UTME aggregate score must not be less than 180; however, some departments — like Medicine and Surgery — my require a lot higher than the minimum score.
Points to note:
- The 5 credit passes in SSCE must include English Language.
- Your SSCE subject combination and UTME aggregate score must meet up with the minimum standard set by your department of interest. Check your JAMB brochure for details.
- Finally, it is compulsory to register and take part in the annual University of Nigeria, Nsukka Post UTME screening exercise.
Direct Entry (DE) requirements
- To gain admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka through Direct Entry, you must score at least five (5) credit passes in SSCE in not more than two sittings.
- Also, you need to possess a minimum of two advanced level passes in OND, NCE or HND in required fields.